Sunday, October 30, 2011

Excursion Trip


October 30, 2011

Currently, our group is residing in Accra until Tuesday when we all depart for our various locations for our Independent Study Projects.  I am planning on going back up to Tamale with a group of students to compare the education system in the Northern Region with that of the Southern Region in Accra.  On November 15th, I'll make my way back to Accra to study the school system here for two weeks, and then I'll have a week until I arrive back in the States!

Over the past few weeks, we traveled throughout the Volta region in Ghana to see various places and crafts.

In Sogakope, we stayed at the Volta View Hotel.  The area was fairly urban, and the food was delicious.  Our hotel was very nice, except for a very large cockroach in my room that apparently could fly.  While in Sogakope, we went to a pottery workshop.  We learned how to make pots from mud and clay, and even got to try making different objects with the clay.  Unfortunately, all of our creations got rained on during a heavy storm and were ruined before they were fired. 

We stayed in Dagbamate, which was my last African village experience of the trip.  We were all a little ready not to be placed in the villages anymore, so this was a little repetitive.  Many students also started to get homesick because we were moving around so much. We got to see many drum and dance performances, and even drive very close to the border of Togo!

After leaving Dagbamate, we stayed in Krobo Odumasi.  This area was beautiful, and our hotel area was very nice.  The hotel had a connected restaurant that served French fries for only 2 cedis. This was a nice touch from home!  In Krobo Odumasi, we made our own beads out of used glass and bottles! I chose to make white beads out of crushed glass and brown beads made from crushed Guinness bottles.  Since this was the bead capital, we were able to purchase so many beautiful African beads! It was often hard to choose even what to buy.  We were also able to visit the Palace in the area, and meet the king of the Eastern Region. This was quite a big honor, especially because he was busy with the festival that was happening at the time.  There was a festival from Wednesday to Friday that only happens once a year, in honor of millet harvesting.  We got to see dancers and drummers on Wednesday, and take part in the celebration. At one point, a group of us were eating "fanice", while standing right outside of the palace during the celebration.  Two men were pushing a large bull down the street, preparing to sacrifice it for the festival.  All of a sudden the bull bucked its back legs and turned, charging towards our group.  We had to run behind the other wall of the palace! Though really scary, I can now say that I survived a bull charging towards me in Ghana.  On Friday we were also able to take part in the festival before we left for Accra.  We watched as all of the chiefs from the region and the king were cared in on people's heads.  Then we all paraded, with the chiefs and the king, to a large field that was the festival grounds.  I have many pictures and the experience really reminded me of an American festival.

As far as coming home, I couldn't be more excited.  I have learned so much during my stay here, but I'm also quite ready to come home.  I miss my friends and family so much.  Especially while moving around so much, thinking of home and being homesick is sometimes too easy to do.  But I only have 5 weeks left!  I'm more than grateful for this experience but I can't wait to be with you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment